What is Botox and how does it work?
Simply put Botox® is a substance that is used to temporarily block the signals that are sent to our muscles, to stop them from contracting. The treatment stops the muscles from being over active and subsequently prevents the formation of lines and wrinkles. This also makes Botox® and fillers ideal treatments to correct asymmetry on the face such as uneven eyebrows or lip imbalances.
Botox® is administered directly into the muscles responsible for contraction using a micro-fine needle, and the process takes between 10-15 minutes per area. At DestinationSkin, all of our injectable treatments are administered by our team of highly qualified and experienced Medical Injectors, so you can be assured that you are in safe hands with us. The results of Botox® take no more than seven to ten days and can last between three to four months depending on the individual.
This anti-wrinkle treatment is ideal for worry lines on the forehead, crow’s feet around the eyes and frown lines between the eyes. Excessive sweating, also known as Hyperhidrosis, can also be treated with Botox®, with results lasting from 6-12 months.
After 2 areas of Botox®BeforeAfter
Botox® on crows feetBeforeAfter
Botox® on chinBeforeAfter
What our clients say
I had an injectables treatment yesterday with Dr Martin at the Oxford Circus clinic. I had never had injectables before and whilst I had a few concerns, I just felt I looked tired and needed a refresh. I am delighted with the results, they’re subtle but I can really see the difference. So far no one has even noticed I’ve had any anything “done”! I would highly recommend Destination Skin and putting your trust into Dr Martin!
Oxford Circus client
What our clients say
So happy with the service I’ve received at DestinationSkin. Emeline was amazing and also gave me tips for my skin as well as carried out the service professionally and painlessly.
What our clients say
Absolutely amazed by the results! I’ve never had injectables and couldn’t believe how great the outcome was. I look 5 years younger! The staff are lovely and professional (in particular Nurse Emeline) and have made me feel very calm and assured.
|Treatment||Why Choose Us?|
|Botox® Forehead lines/Frown lines/ Crows feet/Bunny lines|
Prices from £175
|Botox® Lip lines (smokers lines)
Prices from £99
|Botox® Jaw contouring / Chin treatment
Prices from £79
|Botox® Neck lines
Prices from £325
|Botox® Hyperhidrosis to prevent excessive sweating
Prices from £425
|Botox® to prevent teeth grinding
Prices from £245
How does it work?
The role of Botox® is to block the release of acetylcholine temporarily. This is a chemical substance released by our nerve endings that sends signals to our muscles to enable them to contract. The anti-wrinkle injections block this signal to stop the contraction of targeted muscles. This stops the muscles from being over active and subsequently prevents the formation of lines and wrinkles.
Botox® is injected directly into the muscles responsible for contraction. We use an ultra-fine needle which is virtually painless, so you won’t need anaesthetic. For example, in the glabellar region between the eyebrows, the strong corrugator muscles are injected to prevent the appearance of frown lines and deep wrinkles. The anti-wrinkle injection tends to take no more than 10-15 minutes. The onset of the effects of Botox® takes no more than seven to ten days and can last up to three to four months depending on the individual. Repeat treatments are recommended three to four times per year.
It’s ideal for worry lines on the forehead, crow’s feet around the eyes and frown lines between the eyes. We are specialists in advanced procedures including the lower face and neck and in the correction of asymmetry. Excessive sweating, also known as Hyperhidrosis is also treated with Botox®, with results lasting from 6-12 months.
Botox® and fillers are ideal treatments to correct asymmetry on the face such as uneven eyebrows, lip imbalance, hair lip and scars. Crooked or misshapen noses can be straightened and softened by a simple non-invasive filler procedure. This is often referred to as non-surgical rhinoplasty.
Why should I have this treatment?
- Frown lines and crow’s feet will be heavily reduced or disappear completely.
- You will see subtle natural looking results.
- This treatment is meticulously clinically tested.
- It promotes a tauter, more youthful look.
- This treatment can be used as a preventative for lines deepening as you age.
What areas can Botox® treat?
Botox® can treat multiple facial concerns, including the following areas:
- Crow’s feet: Botox® helps to flatten out wrinkles on the outskirts of your eyes, that are typically caused by ageing or other factors.
- Forehead Lines: We often see clients concerned with often deep set facial lines, and our Botox® treatments also smooth the skin leaving your forehead clear of lines or uneven textures
- Frown lines: Often caused through expressions over time, frown lines can make you appear tired or older than you feel. Botox® can smooth out these furrows and help lift in between the eye area.
- Bunny lines: These small, slightly diagonal wrinkles on both sides of the nose, right below the bridge can again make you look older than you feel. Botox® relaxes the muscles which bunch the skin, to soften this area.
- Lip lines: Vertical lines above the upper lip can be a clear sign of ageing skin. Our medical experts use a soft approach with Botox® so the area still looks natural, but without the lines
- Jaw contouring: Botox® injections can be used to soften a jaw line and also help with excessive teeth grinding (Bruxism)
For all of these treatments, Botox® is injected into these specific muscle areas to temporarily block nerve signals to stop the contraction of targeted muscles. This stops the muscles from being over active and subsequently prevents the formation of lines and wrinkles, and leaves you with smoother and tighter skin appearance.
Will it work for my skin type?
Anti-wrinkle injections can be used on all skin types, however we pride ourselves on being ethical in the treatments that we perform, and upon consultation it will be decided if this treatment is suitable for you.
How many treatments will I need?
Botox® usually lasts for approximately 3 – 4 months and we recommend that you have ongoing treatments to maintain the results. This is due to the natural re-connection of the signal between the muscles and nerve endings. If you are using this treatment for preventative measures, you are training your muscles to contract less, and therefore you allow the skin to prevent wrinkles from forming.
Can I purchase a course of Botox®?
Introducing great new savings on our Botox® treatment courses of 3 appointments within 12 months! Save up to £189 compared to buying 3 single treatments.
|Botox® Anti-Wrinkle Injections||Single Treatment From||3 Single Treatments From||NEW Course Price|
How much downtime is there after treatments?
With any injectable treatment there is a small risk of bruising, localised bleeding and swelling. However, this will all subside after the coming hours after treatment.
Can you exercise after Botox®?
You can have Botox® treatment and continue with your day to day activities. However, we recommend that you do not go to the gym, sauna’s, steam-rooms or swimming on the same day as treatment; and avoid touching the injection site.
Can you drink after having Botox®?
We recommend that you avoid alcohol intake for 2 days following your treatment. We also request that you avoid having any alcohol the day before your treatment. This will help to minimise the chance of bruising.
Can I have Botox® if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
You shouldn’t have Botox® injections if you’re pregnant or currently breastfeeding, since the effects on the baby aren’t known. We also recommend that you have completely finished breastfeeding, and leave a short time inbetween before returning for your aesthetic treatments.
Is this treatment safe?
We are rigorous in our commitment to safety. That means every time you visit us, you can be certain that you’re in safe hands. For example, we only use genuine Toxin from Allergan, our internationally-recognised partner. Toxin is a registered prescription drug. The reason we only use genuine Toxin is because Allergan rigorously tests the product against stringent guidelines. They produce clinical tests to confirm its safety and suitability for this treatment. Read more about why we are the injectable specialists, here.
What happens during the treatment?
Your treatment will take place in one of our private treatment rooms. The medical injector will cleanse the area being treated and perform the injections.
How long does the treatment last?
The manufacturer of Botox confirms in their guidelines that the muscle will remain relaxed for 3-4 months. After this time, the muscle will generate new receptors and slowly regain all movement. In some people, this can take a little longer, and the lines may not re-appear for 5-6 months, so it may seem that the treatment has lasted longer.
When should I repeat my Botox treatment?
Based on the fact that the muscle will begin to regain movement at 12 weeks, we recommend that you repeat your treatment between 3-4 months for the most effective maintenance of the results. This will ensure that the skin remains line free, or in the case of very deep lines, they will remain softer and potentially continue to repair.
Can you reverse Botox®?
Botox® treatments cannot be reversed, as there is no known ‘antidote’ to Botox® although this does not necessarily mean there is nothing that can be done if you experience certain unwanted results. The main side effects that can occur with fillers or Botox® include over emphasis within certain areas of the face, lack of movement, and lack of facial symmetry, amongst others.
Common problems that are obvious when Botox has not been administered correctly are:
- over arched eyebrows (the ‘surprised’ look)
- flat eyebrows (which causes the eye lids to look and feel heavy)
- eyelid ptosis (when the eyelid has been affected by the drift of Botox®, and is unable to open fully)
- fake/dead smile (when the cheeks come up to smile but the eyes don’t move)
- frozen face (no facial expressions can be made at all)
If a Botox® treatment hasn’t worked well, Botox® can often be placed in different muscles to balance the effect (e.g. If the brows are overarched; or in lower face if the lip droops). The effect will take 4-10 days to see a correction
To find out more about how DestinationSkin can help resolve any after treatment concerns or problems, please read our Correcting Botched Botox® Blog written by our Clinic Director, Dr Toni Phillips.
Is Botox® painful?
Everyone has a different sensitivity to the feeling of a fine needle in the skin, but most people find that there is only a very mild discomfort associated with having Botox. The needles used are extremely fine and the treatment is over within minutes. For this reason, no topical anaesthetic is required.
What will I look like after my treatment?
At the injection points, the skin may look red, raised and slightly swollen. These effects only last up to 20 minutes. Bruising is uncommon, but it can occur. It is not a major problem and will heal within 5-7 days (or sooner with herbal Arnica). You will be given specific aftercare advice if bruising is expected. We recommend that before your treatment, purchase Arnica 30cc (Boots, Holland & Barrett and other stockists are available) and use it only following your treatment, as directed by your practitioner.
When will I see the results?
Results will be seen 3-4 days following injection of the Botox. It will take 10-14 days for the full effect to occur and you will be offered a follow up appointment at that time to ensure that both you, and your practitioner are happy with the outcome.
What if I don’t like the result or it’s too frozen for me?
Our Medical Injectors are experienced with all aspects of Botox and the type of results achieved. Botox treatment is not a ‘one size fits all’, and the injector will discuss the best ‘look’ for you in your bespoke, detailed consultation. We can assure you that your treatment will be delivered safely, and in accordance to your wishes. It is a popular treatment because most people are really happy with the result. Please understand, however, that we do not have a crystal ball and therefore cannot guarantee how much you will love the result
Is there anything serious I should be worried about before considering having Botox?
Please make sure you read the consent form thoroughly before agreeing to have your treatment. This will outline the main side effects and risks associated with Botox treatment. At DestinationSkin, our Medical Team are fully qualified, certified and experienced Doctors, Dentists and Nurse Prescribers. All the treatments will be performed inline with strict medical protocols and to a very high clinical standard. This will minimise any of the common side effects and risks, and this will all be discussed thoroughly in your consultation.
How will I know if the side effects are normal, or something serious has happened?
After your treatment, the common effects are mild redness, slight swelling and possible bruising. The treatment area may feel tender to touch and all of these effects are normal, will subside in a few days, but may last up to a week. Each day everything should improve slightly and the area should look more normal and feel better.
It is very uncommon to have any serious side effects, however if you do experience any of the following, please call the clinic immediately, or if after hours, seek help from a GP or A&E:
- swelling that is getting worse as time passes
- increase in pain and getting more severe with time
- skin feeling hot, redness increasing and becoming worse in time
- skin near the treatment area or along the side of the nose looking pale/white or greyish in colour on the day or day after the treatment, and pain increasing in this area
- generally feeling unwell in the days following your treatment
What if I don’t like the results or it looks too unnatural?
Our Medical Injectors are experienced with all aspects of HA Dermal Fillers and the type of results that can be achieved. Dermal filler treatment is not ‘one size fits all’, and the injector will discuss the best ‘look’ for you in your bespoke, detailed consultation. We can assure you that your treatment will be delivered safely, and in accordance with your wishes based on a thorough consultation. Dermal Fillers are a popular treatment because most people are really happy with the results. Your Medical Injector will endeavour to completely understand your expectations, however we cannot guarantee how much you will love the result!
What can I do to ensure I get the best results from my injectable treatments?
Here are a few tips to optimise the outcome of your treatment:
- Avoid having any alcohol the day before your treatment. This will help to minimize the chance of bruising.
- In the week before your treatment, try to avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen or any other type of anti-inflammatory medication as this will also increase your risk of a bruise occurring.
- For Botox – please do not plan to have any other facial treatments (peels, facials, waxing, threading, semi-permanent makeup) for a week following your treatment. It is ok to have these treatments at any time before your Botox visit.
- For Dermal Fillers – please do not plan to have any other skin treatments (peels, facials, microdermabrasion, micro needling) for 1 week prior and 2 weeks after your dermal filler treatment.
- If you have been unwell with a cold virus, cold sore (herpes) or any other skin rash or condition, please phone the clinic to check if you should still attend your appointment. Your general medical health is important, and we are happy to reschedule your aesthetic treatment if necessary.
- After your treatment, please closely follow the aftercare advice given to you by your Medical Injector, and please do not apply anything else to the treatment area, unless previously discussed.