Excess hair growth in women is called hirsutism and refers to the growth of course, dark hair in places like the lip, chin, chest, back or abdomen.
What causes excessive hair growth?
1. Unwanted hair growth is caused by an increased level of “androgens” (male hormones). All women produce testosterone but the level usually remains low, keeping hair growth in the “normal” range.
2. As hormones stabilise during puberty, even the smallest amount of excess testosterone can cause excess hair growth.
3. The most common cause of facial hair amongst women in their 20’s and 30’s is Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Read more about facial hair removal HERE
4. Other conditions that affect your adrenal glands can also trigger excessive hair growth. Your adrenal glands are located above the kidneys and are responsible for hormone producti0n, including those pesky male hormone, androgens!
5. Excess hair growth can be a inherited from your parents
What are the options for treating excessive hair growth?
We’ve recently lowered our laser hair removal prices making a course of facial or body hair removal treatments a more affordable option to treat your excessive hair growth. Hair removal without the hassle is available from just £31 per treatment AND we’re offering a free patch test and taster treatment* when you book your consultation through the website.